08-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Hey my friend, firstly congratulation on keeping the alcohol demon in check, especially as it sounds like you did it on your own with no 12 step process or fellowships support. Each day at a time right, there is a victory in every day you hang in there.
Regarding your depression and towing the line, it sounds like you are doing a pretty good job at what you are doing.
1) you are getting exercise, the more of it the better. (without going into detail I know how you feel and where you are coming from)
2) you are on a medication, which in my opinion is good. However, I was on citalopram, was never overly impressed with it. Then I was moved some years later onto its new sister drug called EScitalopram. A psychiatrist told me that each dose has 5x more potency for a therapeutic dose than citalopram. I am on the maximum dose which should be 5x stronger than citalopram. Might be worth looking into, I was switching SSRIs SNRIs constantly. I have stuck with the escitalopram.
3) You are mixing with the right set of friends. You don't need that temptation from friends who are big drinkers, AA and the big book recommends dumping all associates of the past that could cause a relapse. Hard enough with it being sold on every street shop corner as it is.
You are out of prison, you have stopped drinking, you are exercising. All positive big steps. Only thing I could suggest to add to what you are already doing is considering the medication, as well as possible therapy for the depression. I was very stubborn about therapy, thinking sod all that crap just give me some meds. However I learnt therapy is as strong as the meds if you find a good therapist, I switched a few times till I found a great one.
Good luck, wish you all the best.
Regarding your depression and towing the line, it sounds like you are doing a pretty good job at what you are doing.
1) you are getting exercise, the more of it the better. (without going into detail I know how you feel and where you are coming from)
2) you are on a medication, which in my opinion is good. However, I was on citalopram, was never overly impressed with it. Then I was moved some years later onto its new sister drug called EScitalopram. A psychiatrist told me that each dose has 5x more potency for a therapeutic dose than citalopram. I am on the maximum dose which should be 5x stronger than citalopram. Might be worth looking into, I was switching SSRIs SNRIs constantly. I have stuck with the escitalopram.
3) You are mixing with the right set of friends. You don't need that temptation from friends who are big drinkers, AA and the big book recommends dumping all associates of the past that could cause a relapse. Hard enough with it being sold on every street shop corner as it is.
You are out of prison, you have stopped drinking, you are exercising. All positive big steps. Only thing I could suggest to add to what you are already doing is considering the medication, as well as possible therapy for the depression. I was very stubborn about therapy, thinking sod all that crap just give me some meds. However I learnt therapy is as strong as the meds if you find a good therapist, I switched a few times till I found a great one.
Good luck, wish you all the best.

