01-16-2020, 07:51 PM
I know there is some mention of trying to make posts meaningful in the general rules/intro, but I think the word “meaningful” may mean different things to different people. Personally, I feel guilty if I don’t at least write a paragraph, introduce/build upon some meaningful topic or piece of information, or at the VERY least, to add to a growing thread that is asking specifically for community consensus/suggestions, which may not need to be quite as “in depth” to accomplish what the OP is asking for feedback with.
Unfortunately though, while there is certainly quite a plethora of information “out there”, it is ultimately finite, in terms of health conditions, treatments, types of medications, peer-reviewed studies, drug-drug interaction reports, even personal anecdotes - (we all only get but so many days to live/experience this world), etc. etc. etc.
As mentioned, I feel as though I am not being a constructive/contributing member of the community unless I make a statement that averages this one in length (several “paragraphs” which are essentially run-on sentences because I have a large vocabulary but virtually no concept of “grammar” or “punctuation”.
At the same time, I have already shared many of my experiences, information that I have come across that is at least tangentially relevant to a question or thread on a specific subject matter, information about my own conditions and (mostly non-drug) “therapy techniques” (as discussion of controlled substances is somewhat questionable depending on the level of privacy the thread is placed).
What I’m sort of getting at is that Ive done my best to make sure 95% of the comments I post to be potentially valuable information/advice/explanation/suggestion(s) to someone, of some knowledge level, who may happen across it or even seek it out in the course of browsing this forum.
Because in the end, I do think that most of us “newbies” (well-meaning, or otherwise) want to be in that “Vip Section” for SOME type of information/advice/referral that might work to our own benefits, the question is: how much (not in terms of a post count, or even a word count, but in terms of “potential benefit to others”) does one “owe” the community prior to reaching that “magic number” (I’m not sure if it’s 150 or 250 at the moment) in order for the arrangement/community to be “fair”
I’m pretty tired atm, so forgive me if this doesn’t make complete sense, it’s kind of hard to quantify, but I think more senior members especially know what I’m getting at/have developed a sense for that. Because in theory I could make 10 practically useless comments a day, everyday, but that would be remarkably disrespectful to the caring mods of this esteemed forum, as well as to the entire community (not that I’m sure it doesn’t happen anyway sometimes). Vs posting 10 comments as long/detailed as this one a day, which would probably take me numerous hours and not be feasible, hence at most I find the time to post 3-4 things every few days that have some merit.
What do you all think?
-Samson
Unfortunately though, while there is certainly quite a plethora of information “out there”, it is ultimately finite, in terms of health conditions, treatments, types of medications, peer-reviewed studies, drug-drug interaction reports, even personal anecdotes - (we all only get but so many days to live/experience this world), etc. etc. etc.
As mentioned, I feel as though I am not being a constructive/contributing member of the community unless I make a statement that averages this one in length (several “paragraphs” which are essentially run-on sentences because I have a large vocabulary but virtually no concept of “grammar” or “punctuation”.
At the same time, I have already shared many of my experiences, information that I have come across that is at least tangentially relevant to a question or thread on a specific subject matter, information about my own conditions and (mostly non-drug) “therapy techniques” (as discussion of controlled substances is somewhat questionable depending on the level of privacy the thread is placed).
What I’m sort of getting at is that Ive done my best to make sure 95% of the comments I post to be potentially valuable information/advice/explanation/suggestion(s) to someone, of some knowledge level, who may happen across it or even seek it out in the course of browsing this forum.
Because in the end, I do think that most of us “newbies” (well-meaning, or otherwise) want to be in that “Vip Section” for SOME type of information/advice/referral that might work to our own benefits, the question is: how much (not in terms of a post count, or even a word count, but in terms of “potential benefit to others”) does one “owe” the community prior to reaching that “magic number” (I’m not sure if it’s 150 or 250 at the moment) in order for the arrangement/community to be “fair”
I’m pretty tired atm, so forgive me if this doesn’t make complete sense, it’s kind of hard to quantify, but I think more senior members especially know what I’m getting at/have developed a sense for that. Because in theory I could make 10 practically useless comments a day, everyday, but that would be remarkably disrespectful to the caring mods of this esteemed forum, as well as to the entire community (not that I’m sure it doesn’t happen anyway sometimes). Vs posting 10 comments as long/detailed as this one a day, which would probably take me numerous hours and not be feasible, hence at most I find the time to post 3-4 things every few days that have some merit.
What do you all think?
-Samson

